Thursday, April 3, 2008

Free At Las'

Free at las’

Free at las’

  I thank God I’m free at las’

Way down yonder in de graveyard walk

  I thank God I’m free at las’

Me an’ my Jesus gwinter meet an’ talk

  I thank God I’m free at las’

On-a my knees when de light pass by

  I thank God I’m free at las’

Tho’t my soul would-a rise an’ fly

  I thank God I’m free at las’

Some o’dese mornin’s bright an’ fair

  I thank God I’m free at las’

Gwinter meet my Jesus in de middle of de air

  I thank God I’m free at las’


An Ancient Dream

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. There is scarcely an American who has not heard the words from his speech at the Washington Monument, “Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty we’re free at last!” At that moment he was only echoing the cry and desire of his fore parents who sang the Negro Spiritual, Free at Las’. This song of glory represented the culmination of the slave’s desire, freedom. 

Linda Brent, a former slave who had escaped to the North writes of an occasion she had to break the law by teaching an “old black man” to read. He wanted to learn to read, of course, so that he could read the Bible. He said to her, 

“Honey, it ‘pears when I can read dis good book I shall be nearer to God. White man is got all de sense. He can larn easy. It ain’t easy for ole black man like me. I only wants to read dis’ book, dat I may know how to live; den I hab no fear ‘bout dying.” 

He would lose his fear of dying because of the assurance that one mornin’ bright an’ fair, he’s gwinter meet his Jesus in de air. Freedom would finally be realized. The hope of glory was inextricably tied to freedom from bondage and escape from suffering in the hereafter.  To meet and talk with Jesus in glory means freedom. 


The Current Reality

What difference does that hope of freedom make in the here and now? Sometimes people are accused of being so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good. In other words, I need to place more emphasis on the “here and now” than on the world to come. I would say though, that the opposite is true. Those who are the most heavenly minded are the most earthly good. It is not as though the singers of this spiritual didn’t live and labor in the here and now. Without question, they desired freedom from bondage in the here and now. However, they looked to something to come that was far better. 

We are in an historical moment in America. For the first time in the history of our nation there is a legitimate chance that either a woman or an African American will become president. In conversations with many in my local community it seems as though many have their hopes for tomorrow set on this election. The question for us is, what if your candidate (McCain, Barak, or Hilary) doesn’t win in November? What’s left after that? Or, maybe a better question is, what if your candidate does win in November? After the elation (or relief) and inauguration, how does “realized hope” work itself out in your life and the lives of those around you? I don’t think that anyone is naive enough not to believe that the man or woman in the White House next January will have a profound impact on the course of our nation and the lives of its people. At the same time, as my former pastor says, “the kingdom of God is not coming in on Air Force One.” It is coming, just not that way. 


I’ve left the question, “what difference does it make”, unanswered because I’d like to know what you think.


Pastor Irwyn

1 comment:

King Ott said...

It is an answer that transcends politics. I am not enamored of Ms.Clintons ideas per se, I like Mr. Obama's much better (but am concerned about funding) and there are parts of Mr.McCain's platform that I love and parts that I could do without.

People tell me that I should be colored blind (or gender oblivious?) when voting, and I agree. It is about the issues.

But there is a very big issue that has not been addressed; has the United States completely repented of it's heinous past? (No stones, please) Until we have a black person in the White House there will be questions. Until we have a woman president there will be other questions. I think these questions are worth answering, aside from party politics. (Gosh, what if Condi Rice were running?)

One reason I left the Methodist church, after having joined one in my early forties, was when I found out that there were (at least in Balt/DC) black congregations and white congregations, as well as most of them being shrinking congregations. Friends (both black and white) would tell me that this was only 'natural', people will be people, leave it up to the Holy Spirit to lead. As long we have this kind of thinking in our churches how can we expect true brother (and sister) hood in our nation?